Surround sound is not only good for enhancing the feel of the game; it also gives the gamer an extra sense of direction and allows them to immerse into the game fully.
So what is surround sound?
It is the technique that’s used to enrich the quality of sound reproduction from an audio source (in this case, the game sounds) with extra audio channels from speakers surrounding the listener.
The market presents a range of audio configurations, including:
- 1.0, which is commonly referred to as the mono sound – this configuration uses a single speaker and is not popular in gaming because it cannot give the gamer any spatial awareness.
- 2.0 or the stereo sound features two speakers and can provide the gamer a decent spatial awareness. This configuration leverages the fact that speakers are on both sides of the listener to deliver a better experience.
- 2.1, works the same way as the 2.0; however, it has a dedicated subwoofer. This additional feature enhances the perceivable bass and delivers a more immersive experience.
- 5.1, this one includes a subwoofer, and five speakers set up around the listener. This arrangement offers an excellent spatial awareness, thanks to the more speakers involved in the process.
- 7.1, this is a complex system that includes a subwoofer and seven speakers for even exceptional user experience.
As a gamer, you definitely want an out-of-this-world experience while playing. You also do not want any interference from within. The best surround sound gaming headset is an incredible choice because it allows you to lock out the outside distractions from across the room.
Top quality gaming headsets integrate the 7.1 audio configuration technology to ensure users fully immerse into the game, and get better results.
All stereo headsets can produce virtual surround; however, there will be a distinct difference in the quality of sound depending on how good or bad the headphones are.
Based on your preference, you can select wired or wireless and open, or closed-cup designs surround sound headsets. You can also pick one with round or oval ear-cups, and with leather or other material finishes. Whichever one you settle for will solely depend on what you prefer. However, your guiding rule should be that the headsets are well built, and includes incredible features that will not just enhance your experience but also contribute to your winning. And when it comes to this, the best surround sound gaming headsets take the day.
The simple fact that you can listen to almost all the virtual sounds in the game and pick up the cues makes quality headphones a worthwhile investment; because they give you edge over your competitors. And that’s what you want as a gamer.
However, you should be cautious of where you are purchasing your headphones. Many vendors parade themselves on the internet claiming to sell genuine surround headphones, but in reality, they don’t. Be sure to shop from a trusted online retailer.
Note that open-back headphones are perhaps the best option for the surround sound headphones because they trap the sound in the ear-cup, and also allows a portion of it to escape, giving you a more natural experience.